Phyl's 5 Phaves from December

Heh. Bet you thought I forgot. No, just been lazy.

December was a good reading month. That's because I spent 2 weeks at my in-laws where I had quite a bit of time to read. Those long plane flights helped too...

5. Faking It by Jennifer Crusie. This description from JC's web site is a good one: She has a history of forgery she's trying to forget. He has a knack for scamming he's trying to resist. But one fateful night, their good intentions go bad, and what they get up to is downright immoral, illegal, and irresistible. This book has a huge cast of characters, but JC has a knack for helping you keep them straight and as usual this was fun and funny. I think it's only the 3rd JC book I've read and I eventually want to read her whole back list and then move on to her collaborations.

4. Divorced Desperate and Dating by Christie Craig. Another very funny book, this is also a romantic suspense as the heroine is a mystery author who is the subject of death threats. Her hero is a police detective who grew up in foster care and has abandonment issues. This book manages to be poignant as well as charming. And I was guessing about the mystery up to the end. As I was getting the link for this entry I just saw that there's an epilogue on CC's web site. I was right--Jason loves Christmas.

3. Dark Champion by Jo Beverley. This was my December TBR entry. I am now reading its sequel, Lord of Midnight. Just started it while doing my time on the treadmill tonight.

2. Dead Silence by Brenda Novak. This is the first book I've read by BN. It's part of The Stillwater Trilogy, 3 books connected by the story of a 19-year old missing (murdered?) reverend. In this book, the reverend was the step-father of heroine Grace who returns to Stillwater to put the past behind her and in the process also finds the love of her life. I found this to be an absorbing story with very well-drawn characters. I like how the mystery is revealed and that there is still more to learn in the next two books.

I have all 3 books in the trilogy which I won last year in BN's annual auction to raise funds for diabetes research. BN and I each have type-1 diabetic sons who are the same age. I was thrilled to win these (autographed!) copies and it was about time I started reading them. Book 2 is next up after I do my January TBR.

1. Marrying the Captain by Carla Kelly. I blogged about this when I read it. It has continued to receive lots of good reviews on other sites as well. I'm thrilled to know there will be two more books in this series later this year.

Comments

  1. That's such a good idea to do a monthly recap of your favorite books. I read so few a month, I'd end up just listing them all! LOL

    Curious to hear how you're doing with What A Scoundrel Wants. Did you get to page 200 yet? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like this. I wish I had time to write more reviews, especially about the ones I like. This seemed like a good compromise.

    LOL! Caught me out. I've only read 10 more pages (up to p. 73 now), but first I had to interrupt WaSW to do my January TBR and I also spent the weekend getting quite a bit of sewing done, so overall I haven't read all that much. But I'm sticking with it! I'll let you know what I think when I'm done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I think I have ADD

57, 3, 15

TBR Day. Deadly Descent / Kaylea Cross. 2011