Divisional Playoff Weekend, or, Strips Until My Brain is Fried

The QBFFs & I decided to participate in an all-day quilting event in February to make a boatload of quilts for the Quilts of Valor project. For homework prior to the big day, we each have to sew a pile of strips into something that will eventually measure 6.5 inches by 10.5 YARDS. Yeah, YARDS. That's a lot of strips. So during today's games I worked on my QOV strips. Here's my mess of strips. Oh look! On the far left there's my library copy of Nalini Singh's Blaze of Memory all ready to read. Only I have to read my monthly TBR book first.

So far I only got about half my cut strips sewn into sets of two. While the pile doesn't look real big, there are over 2 dozen sets of them. I'll be sewing them together into groups of 10, cutting them, and sewing again to get that great big long 10.5 YARDS of strips. It should be fun trying to get a picture of that!

Yesterday during the games I cut strips to make the binding and rod pocket for my stars quilt that I quilted last weekend. I've decided to enter this quilt in the June NQA show in Columbus. I don't expect it to win anything, but I'd like some judges' comments to see how I'm doing.

Yesterday I also cut strips to make these 2 little blocks. They're going out to California to be added to quilts already under construction. I have a niece and nephew graduating high school this year. Ladies at the church they attend make quilts every year for the seniors. So Aunt Phyl is making a contribution to each quilt. The nephew is a surfer, so he gets surfers added to his block. I wanted to do something similar for the niece, but hadn't a clue what to add. Fabrics for both blocks were from my late mother-in-law's fabric stash.

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh! All this is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! It's very fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this photo glimpses into your quilting life, Phyl. Even if I haven't the foggiest idea what you're talking about. LOL.

    I have to say, though... I'm totally digging the 'surfer' one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, I'm thinking of doing a whole post on "stripping." Maybe that will clear things up.

    Thanks, I like that surfer one, too. Too good to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a post titled "stripping" would not only clear things up, but also get you a whole heck of a lot of hits on your blog. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything to up those blog stats, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those blocks will be nice additions to the quilts...perfect colors!

    By the way, I was finally able to read Marry in Haste while Tim and I were away camping right after New Years...loved it! Now I'm reading The Temporary Wife...wish I didn't have to put it down until I finish it, but that's not gonna happen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Diana! Glad to hear it. And am especially glad to hear you liked Marry in Haste. I saw the FB pictures and was going to ask if you'd done any reading. Now I'm VERY anxious to hear what you think of Temporary Wife. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I think I have ADD

57, 3, 15

TBR Day. Deadly Descent / Kaylea Cross. 2011