Quilts Finished in January

I was commissioned last summer to make a t-shirt quilt for a young man headed off to his freshman year of college. As you can see, he was active in sports, band, and Boy Scouts. This is now my 3rd t-shirt quilt and I've gotten quite comfortable making them. Once I figure out the layout it goes quickly.

The recipient was supposed to get it to use in his dorm room. His mother took it up to him and promptly decided that dorm living would be too hard on it and brought it home. I'm glad she treasures it, but I'm sad it's not being used. When B. saw his quilt, one of his first comments was "I wondered where that shirt went." Pretty funny. Fortunately he really likes it. He just has to come home to use it.


And a close up of the quilting. I just did a quick all-over meander:


From the 2011 issue of Best Fat Quarter Quilts comes this pattern called Circle in a Square. The original pattern makes up into 12 blocks. I made two smaller units instead of one big one. The wall hanging measures 36x24 in. It's a housewarming gift for a friend. The other unit still needs to be quilted. It'll be for me :)


The quilting is all free motion with no template. Lots of quilting and I love how much texture it has as a result. I don't know how soon I'll get around to quilting the second unit, but I will probably do it the same way as this one.


Comments

  1. That's so sad he doesn't get to use his quilt while he's away at college, when he might need a little home comfort. I think quilts need to be used and loved, even if that means they suffer a bit of abuse along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling sad about it. The t-shirts themselves were used and several had stains on them, so it's not as if it looks pristine to begin with. Oh well, the mom spent a decent amount of money, so I can understand her protectiveness. Still, I'm with you--quilts need to be used and loved.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I think I have ADD

57, 3, 15

TBR Day. Conor's Way / Laura Lee Guhrke. 1996